Two former child services case workers have been charged in the death of a 4-year-old girl they were supposed to be monitoring. It is the first indictment of child services employees in New York City's history.
It was one of those moments that you feel, rather than see, in excruciating, punishing slow motion: Four-month-old Tyler Glowacz fell from his bouncer, which was on the kitchen table, and landed on the ceramic floor. "I was only a couple of feet away, but his bouncer was on the table and he wasn't strapped in. Stupid mistake -- I know," admits his mom, LuAnn, of Austin, Texas. She was relieved that Tyler began crying -- silence would have been a more ominous sign -- but she knew she had to get her son to an emergency room.
My dog Lulu has amassed quite a few vet bills over the years for ailments ranging from allergies to tummy disorders, so I've had my share of pet emergencies. Fortunately, a well-stocked pet first aid kit can go a long way toward helping your pooch and lowering your bill at an emergency vet clinic.
Johnson & Johnson's McNeil division announced a recall Thursday of more than 13 million packages of various Rolaids medicines following consumer complaints of foreign materials, including metal and wood particles.
Johnson & Johnson is adding 12 million bottles of Mylanta -- the stomach discomfort treatment -- to its ongoing list of recalled products, due to the presence of alcohol that's not listed on the label.
The maker of several over-the-counter drugs, including Tylenol, Motrin and Benadryl, announced a broad-based recall of these and other drugs Friday after receiving complaints of an "unusual moldy, musty or mildew-like" odor.
The maker of several over-the-counter drugs, including Tylenol, Motrin and Benadryl, said Monday that it is taking "corrective actions" at its U.S. plant after some 40 children's versions of those drugs were recalled for quality concerns.
A scathing report released Tuesday by the Food and Drug Administration slammed conditions at the factory that produced the children's Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl and other over-the-counter drugs that were recalled over the weekend.
The Food and Drug Administration is looking into reports of at least 775 serious side effects from drugs recalled by McNeil, a division of Johnson & Johnson, according to a source close to a Congressional investigation.
Drugmaker McNeil Consumer Healthcare, currently under investigation by the Food and Drug Administration following a string of recalls related to its over-the-counter drugs including Tylenol, Motrin and Benadryl, outlined steps Tuesday to remedy serious quality and safety lapses at its manufacturing facilities.
Government safety inspectors pushed for a recall of popular children's medicines at least three months before a Johnson & Johnson drugmaking unit removed the products from store shelves, according to documents obtained by CNNMoney.
The Food and Drug Administration has hit another Johnson & Johnson unit -- medical device maker DePuy Orthopaedics -- with a warning letter for selling hip and other joint products without the agency's approval.
Johnson and Johnson unit DePuy Orthopaedics, already in hot water with government regulators, issued a global recall Thursday of two hip aid systems after finding that more people than expected suffered pain which required additional surgery.
As Johnson & Johnson was quietly removing defective Motrin from store shelves, it ignored regulators who said the problems with the drug warranted an official recall, according to documents obtained by CNNMoney.com.
The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday warned Johnson & Johnson, CVS and Walgreen to stop making "unproven" claims that their mouthwash products are effective in removing plaque or preventing gum disease.
It was a humiliating moment. Congressman Edolphus Towns was upbraiding a top Johnson & Johnson executive. Certainly Towns (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, has browbeaten his share of CEOs and Wall Street titans. But it's not the sort of thing that usually happens to J&J. At this hearing in May, though, Towns laid into the health care giant. "The information I've seen during the course of our investigation raises questions about the integrity of the company," he boomed. "It paints a picture of a company that is deceptive, dishonest, and has risked the health of many of our children."
The maker of Benadryl and Tylenol has added five lots of the popular over-the-counter drugs to its growing list of recalled products, McNeil Consumer Healthcare announced Wednesday in a written statement.
Lawmakers have scheduled a hearing Thursday to look into the recall of popular pediatric medicines by drugmaker McNeil Consumer Healthcare, which has initiated four recalls of its products in the past seven months.
Less than a week after the Food and Drug Administration and McNeil Consumer Healthcare implemented a voluntary recall of infant and children's liquid products, the FDA Tuesday released its preliminary inspection findings and cited numerous deficiencies in production of the recalled products.
You're stuck in a cramped metal tube with hundreds of strangers for hours, when it invariably happens: A baby starts screaming and the passengers' collective blood pressure seems to rise along with the decibel level.
Tuesday morning, Silvia Saldana was driving to work on a two-lane road in Cabin John, Maryland, when a wall of water came rushing toward her. Her first instinct was to make a U-turn to get out of the water's path, but it was too late. The water was gushing too quickly.
The family of a Brooklyn boy who died this month from an antibiotic-resistant staphylococcus infection plans to file a $25 million lawsuit against the city of New York, the family's attorney said Tuesday.
Just days before his death, the Brooklyn, New York, middle-school student who died from an antibiotic-resistant staph infection had visited a hospital with skin lesions and was treated with allergy medicine, according to the family's lawyer, Paul Weitz.
Armed with eight search warrants, police searched the homes and businesses of two of Anna Nicole Smith's doctors Friday as part of an investigation into the medical treatment she received before her sudden death, officials said.
Scratching from bug bites or poison ivy? Feeling queasy after the office picnic? Welcome to summer: You hit the great outdoors, and sometimes it hits you right back. But don't let mosquitos or spoiled potato salad keep you inside. Just follow these brilliant ideas -- from Philip Hagen, M.D., assistant professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, and Erin M. Welch, M.D., assistant professor of dermatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center -- and you'll be all set for the season.
One of your kids is sick and has to stay home, which probably means you have to stay home too. Keeping him or her comfortable and entertained can make the day go faster for both of you. Parenting.com shares some expert ideas.
Concerned that she might be having an allergic reaction to bedbug bites, Michaela Ryfa wanted immediate medical attention. But instead of calling one of Manhattan's thousands of doctors, she ducked into a Duane Reade drugstore on her lunch break.