A former Bosnian-Serb police commander wanted in his native country for genocide and atrocities against thousands of Bosnian Muslims was deported from the United States Wednesday, federal officials said Thursday.
Seventeen years after the end of the war, Ratko Mladic gives the impression he is still on the battlefield in what was once Yugoslavia, staring down his enemy, glowering across the courtroom. Even gesticulating death threats.
Ratko Mladic, the former Bosnian Serb army commander who went on trial Wednesday for crimes against humanity, is a notorious name synonymous with the dissolution of Yugoslavia, the Balkan wars of the 1990s and the bloody assaults on Sarajevo and Srebrenica.
Ratko Mladic, the former Bosnian Serb army commander wanted for crimes against humanity, is a notorious name synonymous with the dissolution of Yugoslavia, the Balkan wars of the 1990s and the bloody assaults on Sarajevo and Srebrenica.
Ratko Mladic, who is accused of orchestrating a horrific campaign of ethnic cleansing during the bloody civil war that ripped apart Yugoslavia, went on trial Wednesday at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague, Netherlands.
Bosnia genocide suspect Ratko Mladic is back in court Thursday for a procedural hearing, a day after Goran Hadzic -- the last Yugoslav war crimes suspect at large until his arrest last month -- pleaded not guilty to crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
A notorious Bosnian Serb general accused of trying to eliminate Bosnian Muslims and Croats from their shared country could face two separate trials in the United Nations' International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
The July 5 ruling by the Dutch Appeals Court on the responsibility of the Dutch government for the 1995 massacre of Bosnian Muslims by the Serb army reminds us of one of the darkest stains on recent history. It will not swiftly fade, not least because the massacre could have been prevented if the governments of the time had not been so spineless and devoid of the will to do what was right.
Friday's televised appearance of former Bosnian Serb commander Ratko Mladic before the International Tribunal in the Hague unleashed a deluge of archived images relating to the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, the worst European catastrophe since the Holocaust.
When police burst into the garden of the small house in northern Serbia where Europe's highest-ranking war crimes suspect had been hiding, the former Bosnian Serb general was found standing against a wall in a utility room normally used for storing farm equipment, a government minister told CNN.
The U.S. and its military allies agree on many things, from the size of bullets for their rifles to the design of future fighter jets. But on the issue of gays in the military, the United States stands alone among its Western allies.
A retired U.S. general said Thursday that the Dutch policy of allowing openly gay soldiers to serve in its military led, in part, to its failure to halt the massacre of Muslims in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica in 1995.
Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic finally took the stand Monday at the U.N.'s international tribunal at The Hague to defend himself against genocide charges stemming from the 1992-1995 Bosnian conflict.
Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic intends to skip the start of his war crimes trial because he says he has had too little time to prepare, a spokeswoman for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia said Thursday.
The man's remains lie on a table. Next to him are the bones of his 22-year-old son and the remains of another son. But no one yet knows which of the man's two missing boys the third set of remains could be.
Twenty-six Bosnian Serb refugees are in custody after a series of raids around the United States targeting people who served in Bosnian Serb military units that attacked Muslims. Officials say three others remain at large.
Days before people gather to remember the 10-year anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre, police have found explosives near the memorial for the 1995 killings, according to a Bosnian Serb police spokesman.
Radovan Karadzic, the former Bosnian-Serb leader, is accused of having been responsible for running concentration-style detention camps, and the massacre at the NATO so-called safe haven of Srebrenica.
A graphic video showing the killings of six Muslim men by a Serbian paramilitary unit during the notorious July 1995 Srebrenica massacre led to the arrests of at least eight people suspected of participating.